Eilisain aka Lisette in Gaelic

Welcome to my blog, where I document my process in making jewelry, muse on the influence of art and the joy of making beautiful objects.




Sunday, April 19, 2015

How my business has changed me

Many years ago when I was just beginning to learn jewelry making and taking my enameling classes at the Art League in Old Town Alexandria, I used to think to myself, 'I could never handle the business aspects of owning my own business'.  That somehow someone else would do it, what a joke I know!  I think back then I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact that some day I would own a business. 

So here it is almost 10 years later and I am running a very small business.  Granted I only started 2 years ago but even before then I was planning and working towards the start.  Being the boss (and only employee) has taught me discipline, integrity, hard work and patience.  Traits that I honestly didn't expect from myself when I worked for my previous jobs, which I'm not proud to say but it's the truth.  

I'm going to take this moment to give props to several people that encouraged me to follow my dreams and gave me some great advice along the way. 
This is me last year in the main gallery at Art Avenue, I look happy and somewhat successful.
This was me in 2009 at my last enameling class with Abby Goldblatt, mentor and friend.
And my last visit with the guys at Lawrence Miller & Co. (Lawrence Miller on my right and Tim Shaheen on my right)
Above are photos from part of my beginning in learning business and creativity.  There are many people that contributed to my understanding best business practices and fueling my love for making.  It takes confidence to even take the first steps to beginning a business, I didn't have as much confidence when I got started but now I know that I can do it. 

I'm so grateful for the knowledge passed on from Abby, Lawrence and Tim.  I left Northern Virginia with experience and understanding of the jewelry business and it really prepared me for the great adventure of being a jeweler and business owner. 

I hope that if you are a beginning jeweler or even business owner that you have the same mentorship and support, if not - seek it out!

Thanks for reading as always!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate